These hearty and healthy burgers are sure to please everyone with their harmonious blend of both lean ground beef and black beans. Grill or bake and enjoy with a fresh summer salad and your choice of bun (Or go naked! Ooh la la!)
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped (optional but delicious)
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely grated
- 1/2 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs (or gluten-free oats if need gluten free)
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp of your favourite BBQ sauce (choose gluten-free brand if necessary)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Buns – suggest regular or thin bun; whole grain or sourdough; regular or gluten-free
- Lettuce and/or sprouts
- Red onion
- Condiments of choice
- Open 1 can of black beans, drain and rinse. Set aside to drain for a while and/or dab with a towel to ensure excess water/moisture is removed.
- Place beans in a medium-sized bowl and mash with a potato masher until partially mashed and some whole beans remain.
- Add remaining ingredients to this bowl and stir together until completely mixed.
- Form into patties (6 large or 8 small). Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and once completed, place in the freezer for 1-2 hours prior to grilling if you can (even 30 minutes will do). This step is optional but I do think that it helps to keep the burger together!
- Get cooking’! To grill: place patties on the grill (medium-high heat) for about 8-10 minutes each side. To bake: place patties on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake at 375 for 10 minutes each side, 20 minutes total.